The year-round warm weather in Texas makes water sports in the state very popular. As well
activities such as boating, or riding personal watercraft (PWC) such as jet skis are also very
common. This makes the traffic and activity in local waters quite congested. As a result, the risk
for jet ski accidents can be quite high. If you are involved in such an accident out on the water, it
is always a good idea to seek advice from a jet ski accident lawyer.
Some Interesting Facts About PWC Accidents
According to the US Coast Guard in 2017 PWCs caused 17 drowning accidents and 17 deaths
due to PWC-related accidents. Blunt force trauma was the most common. Statistics also show
that the average age for operators of PWCs involved in accidents ranges from as young as 11
up to 20. In 18% of the cases, the actual owner of the PWC was driving. That leaves 82% of the
drivers in less experienced positions when out on the water. As well, 84% of those involved in
accidents have not received boating safety instruction or training.
What are Causes of Jet Ski Accidents
The most common causes of PWC accidents include:
● Poor visibility or weather conditions
● Driving under the influence
● Missing/defective safety equipment
Another interesting fact is that most accidents happen before the operator has been out on the
water for less than an hour.
Proper Jet Ski Operation in Texas
Interestingly in Texas children under 13 are prohibited from operating a PWC, yet a fair group
involved in accidents are as young as 11. As well, operators must pass a boater education class
or equivalency examination prescribed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Operators
and passengers require a USCG-approved wearable PFD. The state also offers a long list of
regulations ranging from only operating PWCs during the day, maintaining safe speeds and
maintaining safe distances from other PWCs.
Common Jet Ski Accident Injuries
Some of the most common injuries caused by jet skis include:
● Broken bones
● Spinal cord injuries
● Brain injuries
All of these injuries could entitle you to compensation to cover the costs of time off work due to
medical treatment, hospital stay bills, rehabilitation treatment, emotional distress and more. As
well, if your life has been impacted by injuries or the death of a loved one, you might also be
able to claim damages depending on the circumstances.
Why You Should Consult a Jet Ski Accident Lawyer
A consultation with a jet ski accident lawyer is the first step to seeking compensation for your
injuries. Their job is to establish negligence either due to operator error or carelessness or due
to a manufacturing defect. In both cases, you have a right to recover damages not just to cover
medical bills but also for any negative impact your injuries might cause on your quality of life.
Common damages a jet ski accident lawyer might seek include:
● Medical expenses
● Rehabilitation expenses
● Lost wages
● Future earnings
● Loss of consortium
If you were in a jet ski accident, it is in your best interest to know your rights. As experienced jet ski accident lawyers, we can assist with claims for damages. Contact Malley Law today.